BCVH vaccination & testing recommendations for cats:
Core vaccines that every cat should receive-
- Rabies (per state law)
- Distemper (FVRCP)
Non-core vaccines based on lifestyle-
- Feline Leukemia vaccine (FeLv): for cats that go outside, regardless of supervised or not.”
Semi-annual & annual testing-
- Feline Leukemia and AIDs (FeLv/FIV) testing: this testing is highly recommended for all cats 11 weeks old and older. Retesting is not required unless potential for contracting one of these diseases arises. A negative FeLv test is required to start the FeLv vaccine series.
- Bloodwork & urinalysis testing:
- Required prior to any anesthetic procedure
- Annual testing recommended for pets of all ages
- Semi-annual testing for cats 5 years and older, and those that are on chronic medications.