Chew toys are a great way to keep your overly energetic dogs entertained, especially if you have to step out of the home for an extended period of time. Chew toys help let out their almost seemingly endless amount of energy while also helping puppies in their teething stage. However, with the vast amount of different chew toys available in the market, it’s important to differentiate which toys are safe for your pup and which can pose a potential choking hazard for the overzealous canine. Our team at Bristol County Veterinary Hospital breaks down which toys are safe and which you should steer clear of in honor of Safe Toys and Gift Month.

 

Safe Chew Toys for Dogs

  • Rope/Knot Toys – These toys are perfect for a good ‘ole fashioned game of tug-of-war with your pet. Rope toys, especially the thicker variations, are particularly durable and can withstand a bit of damage.
  • Hard Rubber Chew Toys – Especially rubber toys designed to hold or dispense treats, these toys made of resistant rubber are great at distracting your pet for hours.
  • Nylon Bones – Artificial bone toys (nylon) are great at helping your puppy’s teeth develop. These are also available in various flavors for your pet.

 

Chew Toys to Avoid

  • Rawhides – Although these popular chew toys are available in different shapes, sizes, and flavors, pets can be tempted to swallow pieces of rawhide if they become even slightly soft. Depending on the brand, cheaper quality rawhides are often processed with chemicals that could harm your pet’s gastrointestinal system.
  • Tennis Balls – We’ve all seen these in movies being used as the typical fetch toy. Without supervision, tennis balls can be choking hazards to large dogs if they literally “bite off more than they can chew.” 
  • Stuffed Animals – These furry creature toys can seem like a cheap, easy alternative to a quality chew toy. However, these are not designed to be used as chew toys. Their material isn’t durable enough to withstand pet play, so they’re likely to be destroyed rather quickly, causing a mess and potential gastrointestinal issues if your pet swallows the material.

 

If you found that your pet has destroyed some of their current toys and may have accidentally swallowed pieces of them, immediately contact our office to prevent further damage to your pet’s health.