Heartworms & Heartworm Disease Prevention
What are they?
- Heartworms live in the heart and blood vessels of the lungs, growing up to 12 inches long.
- Heartworm disease can lead to severe problems with the heart, lungs, liver and kidneys and may result in death.
- Unfortunately, there can be a lack of physical evidence until it’s too late.
- Heartworm treatment is painful for your dog, requires weeks of restricted rest, and is expensive – costing up to $1,000.
How are they spread?
- Mosquitoes transmit heartworm disease from an infected dog to a dog not on a heartworm preventive.
- Just one bite from an infected mosquito can lead to heartworms in your pet.
- One million dogs are estimated to be heartworm positive in the United States each year,2 and dogs in all 50 states have been diagnosed.
How can they be prevented?
- Prevention of heartworm disease is less expensive, safer and easier than treatment.
- Given each month, year-round, heartworm preventives can prevent heartworm disease.
- HEARTGARD® Plus (ivermectin/pyrantel) is the Real-Beef Chewable that dogs love,4 so it’s easy to give. Help protect your pet today.
Articled retrieved from www.joinpowerof12.com